14 PRO TIPS FOR GETTING RID OF FRUIT FLIES
Common Pests, Residential and Urban Services, Commercial Services
We often get asked about pesky fruit flies, specifically how best to get rid of them.
On top of being a nuisance, in cases of large infestations, they pose a health risk as they can transmit harmful germs and bacteria through their saliva.
Because fruit flies are a sanitation issue, they can almost always be eliminated through implementing proper, consistent sanitation practices.
Here are 14 tips from our team of pest control professionals to help you get rid of fruit flies in your home:
- Wash fruits and vegetables once they are brought indoors.
- Pay attention to what you buy at farmers markets and grocery stores to avoid unintentionally buying overripe, rotten or damaged produce.
- Store your fruit and vegetables in the refrigerator.
- Don’t purchase excess quantities unless you plan to consume or use quickly, or you have lots of room in your fridge to store.
- Regularly check your fruit and veggies for rot and dispose of these immediately in outdoor composts or green bins.
- Always clean up food and liquid spills (especially sugary ones) right away from floors, countertops and sinks.
- Clean and sanitize your kitchen counters, sinks and drains regularly. Consider using a bacterial digesters product in your drains because unclean drains are often fruit fly breeding grounds.
- Wash your kitchen washcloths, sponges and towels every 1-2 days.
- Frequently empty and sanitize indoor trash, blue and green bins.
- Rinse food containers before putting them inside the recycling bin.
- Use a garbage can and compost bin with a lid, both indoor and outdoor.
- Frequently clean outdoor trash, recycling and food compost bins.
- Store garbage, recycling and compost bins away from your home, especially entry points.
- If you have fruit trees in your yard, pick up and dispose of overripe fruits which have fallen on the ground.
There are instances where a fruit fly infestation can get out of control despite proper sanitation. In these cases help is needed from a pest control professional to eradicate the infestation and provide advice and education on how to further prevent fruit fly infestations.
Learn more about fruit flies and how to get rid of fruit flies in our Pest Library.