BLOG / TOP 10 TIPS FOR A BED BUG FREE HOLIDAY
Categories: Common Pests, Bed Bugs
‘Tis the season to be jolly!
Not to spoil all the fun, but this is also the time of year when bed bug problems tend to skyrocket.
At Christmas time, bed bugs often find their way indoors through cardboard boxes, wrapping, decorations and real Christmas trees. But there are many other ways that these pests can become a risk and bother to you over the holidays. You can encounter them at your friends and families’ homes, hotels, motels, public transportation, airports, rental cars, shopping centers, movie theatres, and clothing stores. Bed bugs also hitchhike a ride on the clothing that people are wearing, purses, bags, luggage, and wheel chairs.
While it may seem like the odds are against you, there are precautions that you can take to help reduce and prevent bed bugs from imposing on your Christmas fun, whether you are travelling, hosting in your home, attending parties, or having overnight guests.
1. Don’t put your guests’ coats or bags on your beds.
2. Use bed bug mattress and boxspring covers on all your beds.
3. If you or your house guest will be sleeping on a couch, cover it with a clean sheet.
4. If you’re concerned that a gift from a guest or visitor may have come into contact with bed bugs, post opening, discard any boxes and wrapping in a sealed bag outside, wash any clothing on a hot setting and wipe down wood and plastic items.
5. When travelling, avoid putting your suitcase, clothing or other personal items on the bed.
6. If staying in a hotel or motel do your bed bug homework:
7. Learn what bed bugs look like and the signs of an infestation.
8. Do an inspection of your guestroom or hotel room upon arrival.
9. When travelling, keep your clothing in your suitcase, and not in drawers.
10. Upon returning from your travels, keep your suitcase in the garage overnight.
Unfortunately, despite all best efforts and precautions, contact with bed bugs can happen. They are everywhere, even 5-star hotels and high-end establishments.
If someone has brought bed bugs into your home or business, or you have brought them back after traveling this holiday season, contact a professional pest control company.
Wishing everyone a safe, happy, and bed bug free Christmas!
Call 1 (800) 263-5055
Our Professional Team is Happy to Help!
NO RELIANCE ON PESTICIDE PRODUCTS - LEARN ABOUT OUR GREEN PEST MANAGEMENT SYSTEM